Friday, March 14, 2008

Friday Five



RevGal Friday ay Five reflections:

1. If you could travel to any historical time period, which would it be, and why?

I would like to be there when Warwick Castle was in full swing. My grandfather, Frederick Warwick, used to tell me were we related to royalty and he'd tell me about Warwick Castle. Three years ago there was a job opening for a young maiden to lead the jousting knights in at Warwick Castle. Of course I applied, but didn't even get a response. I wonder  1952 date of birth had anything to do with it?  

2. What futuristic/science fiction development would you most like to see?
Beam me up, Scotty.

3. Which do you enjoy more: remembering the past, or dreaming for the future?
I like to think about the possibilities the future holds.

4. What do you find most memorable about this year's Lent?
We just got news that my brother-in-law, 57 y.o., has only weeks - months to live. I feel like I got the wind knocked out of me as I adjust to the news.  He is trying to quickly put his affairs in order, and a  family friend
just offered him a burial plot close to where my father-in-law was buried last year. The readings for Holy Week have a visceral reality to them this year. I am walking in a fog of grief.

5. How will you spend your time during this upcoming Holy Week? What part do you look forward to most?
I will take one day of retreat. I have a vestry meeting on Monday night, Maundy Thursday service on Thursday at 7 pm, Good Friday service at noon and  the Easter Vigil at 8 pm. I look forward the most to lighting the fire in the courtyard from the light of Christ and processing into the (hopefully) dark church with the new light of the season.  

5 comments:

LutheranChik said...

One of the beloved members of our church, and a friend of mine and m partner, was recently diagnosed with malignant melanoma, with a poor prognosis. It does make all the worship references to human mortality especially poignant. Our friend and his family have a positive attitude and are engaged in a lot of "making memories" travels and activities while they still can...but it's sad to wonder if this will be his last Easter with the family this side of the next life.

Dorcas (aka SingingOwl) said...

((((((Deb))))))))) So sorry. Praying for you, for him, and for those who love him. May this week be a blessing to you instead of a stressor.

Mary Beth said...

So sorry for your bad news. Blessings to you all.

Dr. Laura Marie Grimes said...

I am so sorry to hear the bad news. Praying for him and the whole family, and hoping that you will find strength in the liturgies of the Triduum.

RevDrKate said...

Sorry also to hear about your BIL. Prayers that the liturgies of Holy week bring you peace.